Selecting a Groomsman
- Groomsmen are usually brothers, relatives or best friends of the groom. When inviting people to serve as groomsmen, make sure they are aware of the expenses involved.
- Groomsmen usually help the best man plan the bachelor party for the groom.
- They attend pre-wedding parties.
- They attend the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner.
- Attends bachelor dinner if there is one.
At the Wedding
- While it is not necessary to have an equal number of groomsmen and bridesmaids it does balance nicely if they walk in pairs in either the processional or recessional.
- The groomsmen may be part of the processional or they make take positions in the front with the best man or groom.
- They stand near the groom during the ceremony.
- They are in formal photographs.
- They escort the bridesmaids from the ceremony in the recessional.
At the Reception
- They dance with the bridesmaids at the reception.
- Encourage young men to participate in catching the garter.
- Pays for their own wedding attire.
- If travel expenses are involved, they pay their own costs involved in getting to the wedding and staying in town during the celebration.
- Although groomsmen may attend several pre wedding parties, only one-shower gift and one wedding gift is expected.
- They may share the cost of the bachelor party.