Selecting the Bridesmaids
- The bridesmaids are usually close friends. When inviting them, make them aware that there are costs involved as well as time. It is an honor to be asked but, may also be a financial burden.
- The number of bridesmaids usually depends on the formality of the wedding with a dozen being the maximum for any wedding, girls between 8 and 16 are considered to be junior bridesmaids. Junior bridesmaids are not expected to help with details as much as bridesmaids.
Help In Advance of Wedding
- Bridesmaids help take care of the details for the bride such as running errands and making table decorations or favors.
- They usually join the maid of honor in hosting a bridal shower.
- Bridesmaids attend pre-wedding parties.
- Bridesmaids attend rehearsal and the rehearsal dinner.
At The Wedding
- Bridesmaids walk in the processional and recessionals either single file, two together or with an usher.
- They stand hear the bride during the ceremony.
- They are in formal photographs of the bridal party.
- Bridesmaids pay for their own dresses.
- If travel expenses are involved they pay their own costs.
- Although bridesmaids may attend several pre-wedding parties only one-shower gift and one wedding gift is expected.
- Bridesmaids share the cost of the bridal shower with the maid of honor.