Selecting the Maid Of Honor
- The maid or matron of honor is usually a sister or very close friend. Choose someone dependable. If you choose, you may have both a maid (single) and matron (married). The maid of honor takes precedence at the ceremony and sign as your legal witness and carries the groom’s ring.
- If she lives nearby she may help with shopping, invitations, and other details as requested.
- The maid of honor usually hosts a bridal shower.
- Attends all pre-wedding events.
- Pays for own wedding attire.
At The Wedding
- The maid of honor helps with dressing, and assist with the train, veil and holding the bride’s bouquet during the ceremony.
- The maid of honor wears the groom’s ring on her thumb (or carries it in some other safe manner.) until it is time for the blessing and exchange of rings in the ceremony.
- She holds onto a duplicate list of desired shots for the photographer and videographer as well as a song list of ceremony musicians and a copy of any special prayers or readings to be used during the ceremony.
- She walks in front of the bride in the processional and with the best man in the recessional and stands near the bride at the altar.
- She makes sure that all of the brides clothing, makeup, and personal belongings are removed from the ceremony site and taken back to the bride’s home.
- She helps line up the bridesmaids for formal photographs.
At The Reception
- The maid of honor stands next to the groom in very formal receiving lines.
- She is seated at the head table.
- She dances with the best man at the reception.
- She helps the bride with bustling her train so it is out of the way for dancing.
- She holds a duplicate copy of the list of names and pronunciations for the bridal party announcements.
- She keeps a duplicate song list for the musicians or DJ’s.
- If the bride needs assistance in tossing her bouquet or in gathering the single women to catch it the maid of honor helps with this.
- She takes the bouquet for preserving and may take the gown for cleaning while the bride is on her honeymoon.
Expenses of the Maid of Honor
- The maid or matron of honor pays for her own dress or attire.
- If travel expenses are involved she pays for the expense.
- Although she may attend several pre-wedding parties, only one-shower gift and one wedding gift is expected.
- She may share the cost of the bridal shower.